Thursday, August 28, 2008

What I Do When I'm Not On Stage...



After a short but exhausting tour that included a brutal schedule through Europe it's good to be back home. It didn't help that I was violently ill for most of the Europe trip, or that we'd get off stage at 12:30 am (00:30 over there) and then have to be in the lobby to get to the airport at 6 am, but I survived. The picture above is from the Palau de Musica in Barcelona, one of the most gorgeous venues we've been to yet. It's nice to see a beautiful building like this, with stained glass, statues and other architectural details usually associated with churches or cathedrals, and have its sole purpose to be the presentation of music.
So, while waiting to begin rehearsals for the You Can't Fit On Stage Anymore tour I'm still busy working on the Gryphon Labs stuff, from recording new tunes to booking gigs. We'll be at...
The Baked Potato
Wed. Sept 10th
9:30 and 11 pm
We've got some new tunes, Paul Barrere will join us again in the first set, and some other guests may be showing up.
In the meantime, I'm starting to review the 60+ Zappa tunes we've learned over the last two and a half years, as well as learning some epic new ones. Also, my Norwegian composer friend Jono El Grande has written me a piece entitled "Shut Up and Play Your Inca Bass in Berlin," which is obviously a nod to FZ, and in true FZ fashion it's immensely difficult. His music is pretty amazing, check it out!

No comments: